Sunday, November 19, 2006

Welcome to High Plains Buddhist!

I am not a Buddhist, at least yet. But I am studying Buddhism for insights into myself and into the human condition.

Studying Buddhism from the heart of the American continent is somewhat daunting task. There are no Buddhist temples were I live. There are no Buddhist monks or nuns or leaders that I know of. It is a self-directed endeavor on my part, at least for now.

So, what do I rely upon? There are excellent Buddhist podcasts on iTunes and interesting RSS feeds available on Newsgator and elsewhere. And there are lots of good books. I have to find my Buddha, at least for now, in non-human form.

From time to time, I will be posting thoughts about my journey, helpful Buddhist thoughts and sources, and encourage your comments.

2 comments:

Will said...

You are a buddhist, you just don't know it yet. Same goes for everyone else.

Will said...

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk there. What I was trying to say is that Buddhism is more of a way of life than a religion. It teaches you some very basic principles about life and interaction with other human beings that are equally applicable across virtually all cultural and religious boundaries. I think you can be a Christian AND a Buddhist, if that makes any sense. Or an atheist and a Buddhist. At least that's how I look at it.