Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Mindfulness of a New Sweatshirt



Buddhism reminds us to be mindful of not just the big things but the little things.

One of the little things that I absolutely enjoy is putting on a brand new sweatshirt. The lining is so soft and comfortable. There are few moments in life quite so cozy.

Unfortunately, after several washings, the fuzzy lining becomes less fuzzy and a bit harder.

I get the same sensation with a new pair of sweat socks. In fact, when I was in high school, I tried to swing it so I always wore a new pair for every game. My feet just felt better.

Obviously, it would be wasteful to just buy new sweat socks and sweatshirts just to get the brand news soft and cozy feeling. Which means cherishing the chances we get with new sweat socks and shirts all the more.

May you be free from suffering and may your sweat socks and sweatshirts be free from matting.

1 comment:

"James" said...

I share you enjoyment of a new sweater or hoodie. I enjoy putting them on and feeling that coziness.

And fresh, clean socks are heaven.