Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Momentary Glimpse of Enlightenment


I suppose this is neither here nor there.

But last night just before falling asleep, I felt that I was enlightened.

For fifteen seconds or so, I felt like I understood the universe. There was perfect clarity.

Then, as suddenly as my clarity came it was replaced with ideas for blog posts, what I had to do at work the next day, noticing the dog changing positions on the bed, and a million insignificant other little things.

Nonetheless, I had a momentary glimpse of enlightenment, a momentary lapse from chaos.

I want to get to that state again. But the wanting is also what will get in the way of it. The attachment destroys the attainment.

But I hope I can mindfully work to achieve longer stretches of such clarity in the future.

I would sure be nice.

4 comments:

Alex from Science of Identity said...

Hello
I could not find email to you so I write here:
I have been browsing around philosophy, religion and similar sites for

hours now and just ran
across yours...it's very nice.

Your site visitors may well be interested in wisdom quotes at my sites

www.jagadguruchrisbutler.com or www.jagadguruchrisbutler.org

If you like my site please consider linking to it however you like on

your page.

I think my site matches well with the theme on your page.
I am open to any proposition from your part.

Either way thanks for reading this and keep up the great work!

Thanks
Alex

Paul said...

Hi Todd! I sometimes suspect that having an episode of enlightenment can be problematic because it causes us to want more. After all, Krishnamurti used to say that the desire for enlightenment could prevent it from happening. According to him, any desire can prevent an episode of enlightenment -- even the desire for enlightenment. I'm curious what you make of his views?

Moonaluna said...

Hello. I've had similar brief glimpses and in each one I was saw the universe in crystal clear color. Each glimpse didn't last long, and they occurred when I least expected them to. If you would like to discuss this with me, I'd be interested.

Anonymous said...

I just punched in Momentary Glimpses in Google as the best words I could find to describe what happens to me, and has happened to me quite a few times in my adult life...and I found this site...I get a very peaceful glimpse into a peaceful earth it seems, without the worries and on a couple of occasions I've been able to momentarily incorporate it into what I'm doing at the time..usually driving...it feels like even though I've travelled that road many times, I'll feel like I'm in a different country or city...a sense of freedom from life comes and it's a big vacation from thought or anxiety. Sometimes, if I'm in the passenger seat I'll go into that state and an answer as to how the world works will suddenly come clear to me..yet I can't put it properly into words because words are not descriptive enough to explain it. Alot of it has to do with our literal connectedness to each other and every living thing,,which everything is a living thing..and the intricate workings of things..Please let me know if anyone reads this because I'd love to try to explain to someone out there...