Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Last Seven Hours as a Forty-Something



I'm still in my forties--for another seven hours or so as I write this.

Being in your 40s sounds a lot younger than being in your 50s. Which it is by ten years. Duh.

Tomorrow, I turn 50. I qualify for AARP membership. Yipee! I also think I get the right to pull my pants up to my nipples and complain about the government. Oh, right, I already do that now.

In what seems like just a few days ago when I turned 30, I was pretty pissed off that day in 1988. I had felt like I had not accomplished much of what I had wanted to accomplish.

Twenty years later, I can probably still say the same thing but I'm not so very worked up about it. And, I also know I still have probably 15 to 20 years of working life left to accomplish some of what I want to accomplish, as long as my health and my wife's health holds up.

I guess one of the few benefits of age is perspective. I don't get as worked up about things--either good or bad things--as I did when I was younger.

On the other hand, I don't really feel that much older than when I was thirty. Sure, a few (ok, a lot) more pounds, a bad knee, and a little less hair, but frankly, I don't feel that I'm that much older. I think I can dig these young people today when I'm not yelling at them to get off my lawn.

Not that I was ever all that hip, I feel like I think like at least a youngish person who has finally gained a bit of sense. I like to try new things, new foods, new music, new technologies. I admit I'm a bit old school when it comes to things like personal responsibility and discipline, but that's not a bad thing.

John Cougar Mellencamp sang to "hang on to 16 as long as you can." I guess I'll hang on to 49 for just a little bit longer and then see what else life holds in store. Fifty just might be ok too.

1 comment:

Mberenis said...

I think this is a great blog, and I would like to Post a Comment

There has been some recent news you might like to hear.Obama is making it better for us already! There has been an increase of money availability to everyone. Due to recession there is increased funding for all types of grants. Even lenders are bending over backwards to bail you out too. Regardless of statistics, there is people getting tons of cheap money for personal use, investments,start businesses, buy homes, pay off debt, and more. Bailout is for YOU