Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Perpetual Motion Is Over-Rated

I used to think that I had to be in constant motion.

Work, activities, groups, travel, home. Repeat.



I thought I was the Renaissance Man, the Tough Guy, the person who could do it all.

I can't. I won't. I'm not able.

I have a lot of different interests and passions in my life. But they really don't mean much if I feel stressed about meeting or missing a bunch of commitments. When I do relax, it's like I can't enjoy my relaxation or meditation or simply being with friends or family because always in the back of my mind there is the next thing I have to do or get ready for.

No more.

As the Buddha supposedly said, "How can one ever know anything if they are too busy thinking?" Or as Stephen Covey might put it, what are your priorities, not what's on your schedule?.

Much as I might try or you might try, we can't do it all. Ok, maybe a few super-humans out there can. But most of us can't. We're lucky to be able to do one or two things well.

I've finally concluded after a crazy day that perpetual motion is highly over-rated.

No comments: